OSS and ALSA

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 14:18:39 UTC 2013

on 21/01/2013 14:22 David Demelier said the following:
> I mean audacious, not VLC
>

> 2013/1/21 David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com>
>
>> Don't enable OSS4 nor ALSA, VLC can run fine with FreeBSD kernel mixer
>> support (that has a OSS compatibility support).
>>
>> Just use defaults, it will always work more when you use default options.

Are you sure?  And are you speaking about the latest version - 3.3.3 ?

In that version, if neither ALSA nor OSS4 is selected then the only output
possible is FileWriter.  BTW, OSS4 is "On" by default, which is annoying - why do
I have install some external kernel code if we already have quite good audio code.

It seems that audacious has lost support for "normal OSS" and became useless to
me.  Maybe "SDL Output" plugin/option could help, I need to try that.

--
Andriy Gapon