bsdinstall(8) line drawing characters

David Lazaro Saz dlazaro at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 02:37:17 UTC 2013

On Jan 20, 2013, at 7:46 PM, Thomas Dickey <dickey at radix.net> wrote:

> TERM is one thing, the driver is another.
>
> Since the "xterm" terminal description supports line-drawing characters, it sounds as if the underlying problem is in the console driver.

You are right. The problem is in how teken(3) handles the special line drawing mode of xterm. When I changed the TERM variable to cons25, dialog(1) changed the way in which it draws the panels, using, it seems, direct code points for its graphics.

It seems that teken(3) once handled this by using the code points for CP437 but that it was reverted because there were problems with other languages. It is documented in PR kern/141633 at <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=141633&cat=kern>.

There seems to be support for using proper unicode code points for line drawing characters if Unicode support is enabled for teken(3).

If anybody else is curious, the code for line drawing escape sequences is in /sys/teken/teken_scs.h.

I would like to see this working by default. Who is the current maintainer of that code?

David