bsdinstall(8) line drawing characters

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 20 08:48:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 05:23:22 +0100, David Lazaro Saz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to find an answer to this question without success.
>
> Why does bsdinstall(8) use ASCII characters for drawing lines
> instead of line drawing characters as the old sysinstall(8) did?

I assume this has to do with a change which happened long time
ago. In the past, those characters could be used in text mode
(for example by the Midnight Commander) and even in combination
with LC settings like de_DE.ISO8859-1. Probably the character
sets in /usr/share/syscons/fonts don't support them anymore. I've
had success using the fonts directory content from a 4.x system
and "transition" it though various later versions, but today I
simply accept the inavailability. :-)

Because the line drawing characters in the Midnight Commander
don't work for me anymore, I use the -a option. Still when run
in an X terminal, they are properly displayed.

I think to avoid problems, the use of linedrawing characters
has been dropped.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany