FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE w/ SanDisk ImageMate S11202

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:27:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> da
> device          ums             # Mouse
> #device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
>
> I have turned off usb printer, double bulk pipe device, and all the usb
> wireless and ethernet interfaces.
>
> # camcontrol devlist
> <WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 05.01D05>   at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
> <ATAPI DVD A  DH16A6S YA17>        at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
> <hp CDDVDW SH-216BB HE30>          at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)
> <SanDisk uSD SDDR-289 1.00>        at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,da0)
> <SanDisk MS SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 1 (pass4,da1)
> <SanDisk SD SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 2 (pass5,da2)
> <SanDisk CF SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 3 (pass6,da3)
> <WD My Book 1110 1030>             at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass7,da4)
> <WD Virtual CD 1110 1030>          at scbus6 target 0 lun 1 (pass8,cd2)
> <WD SES Device 1030>               at scbus6 target 0 lun 2 (ses0,pass9)
>

> I am not trying to boot "from" the memory stick, just boot when the usb
> card reader is plugged into the usb3 interface. When it is not plugged in
> it's fast reboot, when it's plugged in it takes like 20 minutes.
>
> The SanDisk device is supposedly usb3.0, but i agree it's curious thing
> about the 1.0 listed in the camcontrol device list...
>
> I see what you are saying about the manual. AFAIK you need uhci/ohci for
> usb 1.0, ehci for 2.0 and xhci for 3.0, but i have not tried disabling the
> uhci/ohci/ehci to see what happens. I run 10.0-CURRENT on my laptop, I seem
> to remember there was a time when I could not plug 2.0 devices into 3.0
> slot but that works now. At the time when I was experimenting with that it
> seemed like it would 'switch' from xhci to ehci depending on the type of
> device plugged in, and that wasn't happening (then).. it does work now so
> something obviously updated in HEAD, but it's been awhile since i've messed
> around with it.
>
> I am going to get another 3.0 card reader. When I went to frys the other
> night the sandisk was the only choice. Also the via chipset was the only
> choice at frys. (I've read other posts claiming the via chipset can be
> flakey, that NEC is much better, but so far I haven't noticed any problems
> (in a couple days, anyway - it's true i haven't yet tried to push a bunch
> of data through it)) ...  i don't think it's the pci interface causing my
> slow boot problem. Might have to find one on ebay or newegg.
>
> What I intend to do is get four card readers, and gut them and mount them
> into a single carriage, so I can read 4 SD/SDHC cards simultaneously, or at
> least put all four in and have the machine grab the data from each one
> automatically. So I don't have to get up! This would save me alot of time,
> since I typically use 4 cards when I film a 2 hour show. When you're doing
> this several times a week the time adds up, and i don't have alot of extra

Here's dmesg where it's sitting for 15 minutes waiting for something...

(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Error 5, Retries exhausted

{{WAIT FOR 15 MINUTES, THEN:}}

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0a [rw]...
fuse4bsd: version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.19
re0: link state changed to UP

I'm trying to figure out how to understand what umass-sim2:2:0:0 refers to.

# dmesg | grep umass-sim
cd2 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus6 target 0 lun 1
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da4 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus6 target 0 lun 0
ses0 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus6 target 0 lun 2
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 1
da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 2
da3 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 3
(probe0:umass-sim2:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
{{etc.}}

dmesg shows the da0,da1,da2,da3 on ("at") umass-sim0..

There's some interesting info in /usr/src/sys/cam/README.quirks which might
fix my "waiting" problem, like maybe NO_TEST_UNIT_READY,
FORCE_SHORT_INQUIRY, NO_INQUIRY.. it would be cool to test it out.

but i'm not so knowledgeable about understanding which device
umass-sim2:2:0:0 is referencing... anyone have an idea? Thank you.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA