Safe way to repair corrupted GPT partition table?

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Sat Jan 19 14:59:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:25:09AM +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:08:25 -0600
> Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to repair a GPT partition table that has gotten
> > corrupted (following a system hang during heavy I/O to a ZFS
> > filesystem)?
> >
> I would use a hex editor. Of course, try it out on another disk before
> working on that disk. You can even copy the data with dd from the other
> disk after you are sure it will work. Of course, the size must match or
> must be made matching.
>
> Ok, it is not a safe way but it is a working way.

Have to say I was hoping that there was some programatic way to do this.
Certainly if I go down this path I'll have to practice on a disk that doesn't
contain data that I care about. Getting the size right as this is the only
disk of this size I have. (Actually, it's an Areca RAID 5 Volume Set.)

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | LIVING YOUR LIFE: