svn-export Re: svn bdb checkout?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Jan 18 03:25:37 UTC 2013

Peter Vereshagin wrote:

>I believe 'amd64' is the common architecture these days and 'perl malloc' is the
>feature needed for profiling and/or leaks detection.
>
>Good news is that such a stuff can be redone with forks instead of threads but
>it should take me the time amount I'm not supposed to have of the any early.
>
>By itself perl threading has a fabulously bad luck history, recently
>criticized for instance at:
>
>  https://speakerdeck.com/stevan_little/perl-is-not-dead-it-is-a-dead-end
>
>Thank you.

Hi,

I'm the author of svn-export. I haven't really touched the code since I wrote
it in 2009 and back then I tended to write most things in noobish Perl.
Although it should not be difficult to replace threading with forking (and I
agree that Perl threading is generally to be avoided), I think I would rather
just rewrite it cleanly in Python. Among other things it will simplify argument
parsing and subprocess invocation via standard library functions.

This would be in Python 3 but I could try to restrict it to be compatible with
Python 2 if necessary.

Would that be better than patching/porting the current Perl version? If so then
I will put it on my todo list, but I am unlikely to have any time in the coming
weeks to work on it.

Incidentally, when looking at the code now I noticed that there were some SVN
options missing. I have added those in today's release.

Regards,
Xyne

p.s. I have not subscribed to this list, so please keep me in CC if you would
like me to reply (in case this isn't done automatically).