Starting the desktop environment doesn't work automatically

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 14 20:03:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:54:55 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> If I make mcedit the default editor, could this cause serious issues,
> perhaps if upgrading the kernel and world?

I'm also using it regularly:

	% echo $EDITOR
	mcedit

No problems so far. The only exception: The editor is not
available when starting in SUM, and /usr (and therefor /usr/local)
is not mounted. In such a situation where mcedit cannot be
made available, /rescue/vi (residing on the / partition) is
the best choice if you urgently need to edit something.
The vi editor even works when terminal capabilities are
not "sufficiently" provided.

> I don't like vi and similar
> editors.

You don't need to like vi, but you should know the most
basic actions to use this editor in _worst case_. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany