pkgng package repository tracking security updates

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 14 14:15:56 UTC 2013

On 14/01/2013 13:10, Andrei Brezan wrote:
> I thing that it's good to wait for ports to compile and to be able to
> chose your configure options for the packages you install. It's good to
> know what options you need and what options you don't and why, that's
> one of the reasons why i'm using FreeBSD. I feel that the goal for pkgng
> is that you can install your locally built binary packages in a
> tinderbox on all your infrastructure so you don't have to compile every
> port on every server. IIRC it was considered too cumbersome to compile
> all the ports tree for all the architectures supported and provide the
> so called official binary repositories.

No, that's not *the* goal for pkgng.

The goal is to provide a state-of-the-art binary package management
system for FreeBSD (and anyone else who would like to use it).

For many users this will entail downloading pre-compiled packages from
FreeBSD official repositories.  But it will be possible for third
parties to set up their own repositories, in the same way that eg. the
Postgresql project has their own Yum repositories for RH-alikes.  It
will also be possible for people to compile their own packages either
for direct installation, or to create their own private repositories to
serve their own networks with their custom configured packages.

And, ideally, people will be able to use a *mix* of the above as best
suits their needs.

	Cheers,

	Matthew