Duplicate files on distro ISO

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 12 17:30:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:37:49 -0500, Christian Campbell wrote:
> I just tried creating a bootable USB stick with UNetbootin
> from FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso. The stick was blank (newly
> formatted).

Formatted with _which_ file system? I'm asking because of this:

> 2. The files deposited on the stick had capitalised names, like /usr/bin/CC

The UFS file system should be sensitive to case difference, so
"cc" and "CC" are different file names. If you have accidentally
formatted the stick with some MS-DOS format (fat16, fat32, vfat
or other fat stuff) that might be the problem. Try inializing
the stick with the newfs command.

Attention! If you're intending to boot from that stick, other
actions might need to be taken prior to initializing (like
creating partition table, setting active partition and so on).
Refer to the documentation on what you need to do manually.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany