suggestions wanted.... {OT}

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Jan 12 08:22:22 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:51:19PM +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:52:16 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>

> > 	note that this question is =OT=.
> >
> > 	sorry if this is a re-request for clues.  I =did= ask a very
> > 	similar question a year or three ago; I'm just not sure
> > where.
>
> Ah, I remember. Wans't it when the Newton was released?

	is the newton still around?  I thought it was a huge flop.
	I'll ck, tx.

> > 	I'm looking for a small and portable tablet [or whatever]
> > device to use on the once-every-75-years when I do get out.  I am not
> > 	looking for a cell phone.  the one I have works fine for auto-
> > 	dialing <<whoever>>.  instead, im thinking of something with
> > a small screen and somekind of keyboard.  it has to have a speaker.
> > 	some version of 'unix' is essential.
> >

> have you looked at Samsung. They have a quiet interesting range from
> hand phones to tablets. I do not know the size up to which they can be
> used as hand phones but some pretty large models have this function
> built-in.

	great if there's a model w/ a 5" to 7" screen.  kybd, speaker.
	any idea if I can install gvim and espeak...?  and add my own code.

> My daughter has one I would still call a hand phone. She is very happy
> with it.
>
> The keyboard has to be an external one in all cases. I do not know it
> this works on all models.

	so the keybd is a plug-in for the phones.  how about the tablets?
	I AM/[have been] looking for a book-device that can read to me.

	thanks for the clue,

	gary

> Erich

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.