Kernel decision logic on ICMP redirect

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Sat Jan 12 05:00:34 UTC 2013

I have a network:

 NetA - GW1 --- GW2 - NetB
             |- GW3 - NetC
   HostFoo - |

GW1 is a Cisco router running OSPF.

GW2 is FreeBSD 9.1 running OSPF via Quagga, and is forwarding.

GW3 is FreeBSD 9.1 connected to another network and is forwarding.

GW2 has a static route pointing to NetC.

HostFoo has a default route (only) to GW2 and can ping a host on NetC
because it gets an ICMP redirect from GW2 (FreeBSD) to GW3. However, if
HostFoo pings a a host on NetA it DOES NOT get a ICMP redirect from GW2.

Looking through the kernel code, which is where I need help, it seems
routes learned DYNAMIC, in this case GW2 via OSPF from GW1, are not
routes for which redirects will be generated by GW2. Is that true?

What is it I need to do to convenience GW2 to generate redirects for
learned routes?