9.0 vs 9.1

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jan 11 02:55:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 02:27:50 +0000 (UTC), Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:02:01 -0600, Scott Eberl wrote:
>
> > OK can someone please explain this to me in detail? I've been reading
> > all the release notes I can find and I'm not understanding why after
> > upgrading to 9.1 I have to compile from source to install stuff now. It
> > takes forever and asks me questions I have no idea what the answer is
> > to. Early today I installed irssi which I had to do with make clean
> > install because just doing pkg_add -r irssi complains about not being
> > able to find the url of it.
> >
> > Should I just reinstall 9.0 and not upgrade, will ports work correctly
> > then?
>
> What is difficult about compiling/installing from ports?

Several possibilities:

 * no usable internet connection, so installing from CD or
   DVD is more comfortable

 * not enough computing power, especially for "big stuff"
   like desktop environments or office packages

 * SSD (less wearing through writes desired)

Except those, there is no difficulty in using ports. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany