Unable to install xorg using pkg_add

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jan 10 20:28:33 UTC 2013

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 10:30 -0600, Scott Eberl wrote:
>> [snip] I then updated to 9.1-RELEASE using freebsd-update. Everything
>> seems to have gone smoothly but now I'm getting the below error when trying
>> to isntall xorg.
>
> I upgraded from 8.3 to 9.1,
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-December/247579.html , without fixing anything until now, it was possible to build X today from /usr/ports/x11/xorg.
>
> Regarding to your issue, take a look at
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/ , there's no 9.1, IIUC
> you need to use stable.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Add this to your /root/.cshrc file

setenv PACKAGESITE "ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports
/i386/packages-current/Latest/"

and when you su to root your pkg_add -r command will now get
current packages.
Its still 6 weeks old, but it's the best FreeBSD has to offer
right now for 9.1 users. Works for me.