how to change from STABLE to RELEASE?

Fleuriot Damien ml at my.gd
Wed Jan 9 15:03:44 UTC 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> I am happily running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE on one of my machines, but I
>> want to move to FreeBSD-RELEASE and use
>> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.1-RELEASE
>> but it does not find a valid repository.  How can I solve this issue
>> to move to newer RELEASE and avoid staying on STABLE because I will
>> have to compile/build world and it takes a good while to build and
>> then may have to rebuild all the ports.
>
> As long as you stay on 9-STABLE, it is not necessary to rebuild all ports.  Actually, that is what the "stable" part means, a stable ABI:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/stable.html

Interesting article, Warren.

If I may say, you may want, on occasion, to update the section about csup.

I'm going to take the opportunity to favorite your post, which I had read previously, regarding the simplification of kernel config files.
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/kernelconfig.html