change an image or convert it to metapost

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:45:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> Is it possible to change an image:
>>
>> http://www.valleycentral.com/uploadedImages/kgbt/Sports/Videos/GatorLogoJPEG.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch
>>
>> To metapost?  so that it could be processed by metapost?
>>
>> I have referenced this page
>>
>> http://matagalatlante.org/nobre/hyt/mpost.html
>>
>> but I don't have some of the programs referenced there.  If someone
>> that is experienced in metapost or other language that can convert the
>> graphic to metapost it would be very nice.  I have converted the image
>> to EPS(encapsulated postscript) but the image does not fit nicely in
>> *.tex documents and I would prefer to have a native one created by
>> metapost or similar.
>
> Metapost contains more information than JPEG. There's no way to derive a
> whole model from a flat image, so converting the former to the latter
> doesn't really make sense. For that matter, JPEG is a pixel-based
> format, so it's not going to scale in the document as well as something
> that's based on vectors or curves. It would probably look okay if the
> original image were much larger and getting scaled down.
>
> The usual thing to do here is probably to make sure the image gets used
> at its normal resolution. This is really a TeX (or LaTeX)
> question. Unfortunately, my set of documents in easy reach is too old to
> cover how to do this, so I can't give you the formula offhand.
>
> Good luck.

Actually, the problem is that the placement of the figure is not where
I want it to be.  With a correct and true EPS and the 'h' option would
give a very good placement.  It would still be nice to produce a
metapost file and scale it to fit nicely and place text next to it,
but I am guessing that I am hoping for some miracles.

Regards,

Antonio