sendmail not working

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Jan 8 14:15:16 UTC 2013

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Tue Jan  8 07:43:00 2013
> Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:39:39 -0500
> From: Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org, freebsd at dreamchaser.org,
>  Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> Subject: Re: sendmail not working
>
> On 1/7/2013 11:48 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
> > On 01/07/13 19:45, Robert Huff wrote:
>
> >>      I have compiled sendmail following the instructions in the
> >>      cyrus-sasl port. Sendmail starts, but no mail is processed either
> >>      way.  /var/log/maillog has this:
> >
> > No clue, except the first message might be saying it's not going to
> > honor anything from .forward because it's in a group writable directory
> > which would be considered a security issue.  Try making /home/huff
> > group read only?
>
>  Done. Restarted sendmail (all parts). Still no mail processed.

"It is a well-known fact that one horse can run faster than another. But
_which_ horse?  Details are IMPORTANT!"

WHAT HAPPENS when you -try- to send an email _out_?
    Do you get an error email?
    Does it show in the outbound mail queue?
       (if it's in the queue, look at the qf* file, to see why it is deferred.)
    What do the sendmail log messages say?

WHAT HAPPENS when  somebody -tries- to send an email _in_ from somewhere else?
    Do  they get an error email?
    Does it show in their outbound mail queue?
    What do your sendmail log messages say?

WHAT HAPPENS when you 'telnet' to your mailserver port(s) and try doing smtp
  transaction(s) manually?