User IDs

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Jan 8 00:07:24 UTC 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Polytropon wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:49:48 -0800, Don Dugger wrote:
>> The question is about dealing with adding users. I been using NIS for a
>> while now it works ok however I've had to keep good notes on how to do
>> thing mainly because I don't add user or boxes very often. I'm a software
>> engineer not a system admin so I not clean on what the best way to deal
>> with things like this. The problem is when I added a PC-BSD box and added a
>> user with the GUI admin stuff provided it did not let me specify the user
>> id so now the users file that are on the nfs mounted drives user id's don't
>> match. I can login as root and use chpass and change the user ids but then
>> I must go through add they files on the new box change uids and gids.
>>
>> Question is there an easier way??
>
> If the GUI tool of PC-BSD doesn't cover the specific need you
> have, use the CLI equivalent. If you need an interactive way
> of adding users, use "adduser", and if you have some time,
> read "man pw" and use "pw useradd" (and maybe "pw usermod")
> which will cover nearly all imaginable cases.
>
> The advantage of pw is that you can easily script and automate
> things. If urgently needed, you could create a GUI wrapper
> with Tcl/Tk, but you'll probably find that the CLI tool is
> much easier to use.

bsdconfig should be considered the GUI wrapper.

I plan to demo it at BSDCan-2013, but you can already play with it now (its quite mature).

To use bsdconfig, check out HEAD and perform a "make all install" from the "usr.sbin/bsdconfig" directory.

Then, w/respect to the OPs topic…

(on the command-line): bsdconfig useradd
(for GUI): bsdconfig -X useradd

NOTE: GUI requires Xdialog from ports
--
Devin