FB 9.1 boot loader problem in VirtualBox

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:03:10 UTC 2013

Matthew Seaman <matthew <at> FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 06/01/2013 11:19, jb wrote:
> > Next problem:
> > when I am logged out from FB, and I do (I tested it repeatedly)
> >
> > Machine-Close-Power off the machine
> > to cloce VM with FB, then on subsequent VM Start and FB reboot I get error
> > msgs:
> > Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [rw]...
> > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> > Starting file system checks:
> > ** SU+J Recovering /dev/ada0s1a
> >
> > but when I do
> > Machine-Close-Send the shutdown signal
> > there are no errors, just normal msgs:
> > Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [rw]...
> > Starting file system checks:
> > /dev/ada0s1a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> >

> Ummm... what did you expect to happen?  'Machine-Close-Power off' is
> essentially the same as ripping the power cord out of a physical
> machine.  It's designed to stop the guest system no matter what: even if
> the guest is trapped in so tight a loop it can't respond to anything else.
>
> 'Machine-Close-Send shutdown' is more like pressing the power button on
> the front of most modern machines, in that what it does is signal the
> guest OS to shut itself off and power down the system after that.  You
> can achieve the same effect from within the guest OS by typing:
>
>   shutdown -p now
>
> 'Machine-Close-Send shutdown' is what you want to use routinely.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Right, but the wordings are unfortunate and counterintuitive/misleading:

'Machine-Close-Send shutdown' means to 'shutdown -p now' (equivalent to
'poweroff') of Guest, followed by unforced "Close" of VM.

'Machine-Close-Power off' means "Kill VM' without regard of the Guest - but
the "Power off" in its name may make user believe that there is "Poweroff"
(orderly shutdown, poweroff) involved as part of the process.

It would be better, in my opinion, if these options were called
"Machine-Close-Shutdown-Guest"
"Machine-Close-Kill-Guest"

No margin for error/misunderstanding.

jb