FB 9.1 boot loader problem in VirtualBox

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:39:06 UTC 2013

Matthew Seaman <matthew <at> FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 06/01/2013 11:19, jb wrote:
> > Next problem:
> > I selected powerd service during install, but after boot, there was error
> > msg:
> > starting powerd
> > powerd lookup freq: No such file or directory
> > /etc/rc: WARNING failed to start powerd
>
> Again -- standard for VirtualBox hosts: powerd doesn't work -- the guest
> OS can't control the frequency of the host CPU, which is what you'ld
> expect thinking about it.
>
> Just disable powerd in /etc/rc.conf to get rid of the error message.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

If so, then bsdinstall should stop offering powerd as a service during
installation (regardless of whethter in real or virtual env).

It can discover this condition with checking for lack of
sysctl -a | grep dev.cpu.0.freq
sysctl -a | grep dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
in /usr/libexec/bsdinstall/services,

exactly as it does with
     if (sysctlnametomib("dev.cpu.0.freq", freq_mib, &len))
       err(1, "lookup freq");
     if (sysctlnametomib("dev.cpu.0.freq_levels", levels_mib, &len))
       err(1, "lookup freq_levels");
in /usr/sbin/powerd (via /etc/rc.d/powerd) - see powerd.c.

jb