somewhat OT ... in parts

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 4 22:29:42 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 06:09:53AM -0800, Devin Teske wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 11:03 PM, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:27:38 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >> 	one question I have may solve the problem of vim displaying
> >> 	all the ^/search terms and displaying them in some color.
> >> 	the default brown is awful, but dark blue isn't much bbetter.
> >
> > If you try :colorscheme blue you can see that the results have
> > orange background with dark text (maybe black?), while the editor
> > background is blue (as the name of the color scheme suggests).
> >

> >> 	So: can I add something to my ~/.vimrc that =limits=
> >> 	the "search" to displaying one term?  if I am searching for,
> >> 	say, "the" or I guess /\<the\>, I dont want every "the" in my
> >> 	file.  I want only  one.   or one at a time, and not necessarily
> >> 	in color.
> >
> > If you have :set hlsearch activated, all (visible) matches will
> > be highlighted,
>
> :set hls
> :set nohls
>
> for short to enable/disable (respectively).
>

> > and the cursor will be placed at the first match.

	YES!  well, at least it works when I reply in mutt --which ive got
	set to use vim.  the "set" strings immediately vanished from deep
	blue ...  in other words, I can read the reply much more easily.

	I put the

	":set nohls"

	in my ~/.muttrc and got an error when  I exec'd mutt.  I'll try
	without the colon.

> On a side note, there's also :set incsearch
>
> That will make you jump ahead as you type (I personally don't care for it).

	right; I see that "incsearch" jumps ahead to the next /search term
	[.]  I can see a use if you are searching for, say "/\<i\>" or
	"/\<j\>" , maybe.

> > I don't see an option to highlight the _next_ result only. However,
> > if you do _not_ set hlsearch, searching and continuing searching
> > will not highlight anything, instead let the cursor skip to the
> > next match (tried here with "gvim /COPYRIGHT", /this, /, /, / and
> > so on), with :set nohlsearch for testing.
> >

> > --
> > Polytropon
> > Magdeburg, Germany
> > Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> > Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.