somewhat OT ... in parts

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 4 22:02:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:03:39AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:27:38 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	one question I have may solve the problem of vim displaying
> > 	all the ^/search terms and displaying them in some color.
> > 	the default brown is awful, but dark blue isn't much bbetter.
>
> If you try :colorscheme blue you can see that the results have
> orange background with dark text (maybe black?), while the editor
> background is blue (as the name of the color scheme suggests).
>

> > 	So: can I add something to my ~/.vimrc that =limits=
> > 	the "search" to displaying one term?  if I am searching for,
> > 	say, "the" or I guess /\<the\>, I dont want every "the" in my
> > 	file.  I want only  one.   or one at a time, and not necessarily
> > 	in color.
>
> If you have :set hlsearch activated, all (visible) matches will
> be highlighted, and the cursor will be placed at the first match.
>
> I don't see an option to highlight the _next_ result only. However,
> if you do _not_ set hlsearch, searching and continuing searching
> will not highlight anything, instead let the cursor skip to the
> next match (tried here with "gvim /COPYRIGHT", /this, /, /, / and
> so on), with :set nohlsearch for testing.

	Hm.  there must be "something" in Muttrc.  I dont see it in my
	local ~/.muttrc; this "something" is controlling every /search
	term and highlighting it.

	the regular vim /tmp/foofile.c /tmp/footext is fine.  it's only
	in mutt that highlights EVERY instance that I'm searching for.
	I'll figure it out eventually if you don't know offhand.  or
	anybody else.

	maybe I should just find keith bostic's newvi; see if they have it
	for linux; theyve got everything else... {grumble}

	thanks, polyt.

	gary

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.