is csup broken?

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr jnagyjr1978 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:59:25 UTC 2013

On 01/02/13 10:08, Fbsd8 wrote:
<snip>
> Still behind the 8 ball.

No, I'm sorry but that's you.

> The new "pkg" is not part of the base in 9.1
> and there is no ftp packages for 9.1 and the
> disc1.iso media I installed from has no packages.

I don't know what crap you're talking, but if you would have installed
the ports tree upon installation this wouldn't be an issue. Yes, you
want to save space and cut down on back-up times, awesome goals, but you
should have been following on the list and in the handbook where CVS has
been deprecated (whether for good or bad, it's done) and portsnap/SVN
are now the preferred methods.

> I'm fubarbed

No, just too lazy to pull off a few extra steps for a one-off with
portsnap or svn (which you will have to compile yourself, I'm afraid,
though maybe someone will make a package for ya)

> Now I just had a port I maintain committed yesterday
> and I have no way to test it to verify the port is working.

And? Pull it in with svn. I use svn to keep tabs on tk85 (and I only
pull in tk85) in my user folder and I use svn to update my ports tree
nightly.

> And doing a portsnap which may not contain my updated port
> for a few days if ever until all the other problem are addressed.

portsnap shouldn't be affected by the pkgbeta site being down, someone
else with more knowledge on the subject should feel free to correct me.

> This 9.1 release was released prematurely. It has more problems
> them 5.0 had which had a re-release 2 weeks later to fix problems.

Prematurely? Depending on what source you go to it's at least two months
behind.

> This is BAD public relations for FreeBSD.

Now there is some FUD for ya.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org