Trying to find out how to mount as user

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Wed Jan 2 16:40:06 UTC 2013

Hello.

I want to write a script, where I as a normal user, can back up my files
with rsync to another machine (pc01), which shares a directory via NFS.

I have an entry in the local machines /etc/fstab

pc01:/backup /mnt/backup    nfs     rw,noauto       0       0

The command:
mount /mnt/backup works as root.

If I do sudo mount /mnt/backup I get
[tcp] pc01:/backup: Permission denied

I'm a member of the local wheel group and at the remote machine as
well(pc01)

pc01:/backup has
drwxrwxr-x  28 root  wheel  1024  1 Jan 14:44 backup/

The local mount point /mnt/backup has
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel  512  1 Jan 17:18 mnt/

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512  1 Jan 11:38 backup/

I've tried to ad write permissions to the group, but it did not help me.

I understand that I have a permission problem but I can't figure it out.

Help Please!

Thanks

/Leslie