Performance Related Question

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 01:43:05 UTC 2013

On 2/27/2013 4:53 PM, Michael Ross wrote:
>      On a multi-CPU machine using an SMP configured kernel, try values
> between 6 and 10 and see how they speed things up.

But you also do need to consider memory usage.  On the areas of
buildworld that are CPU intensive, they can also be memory intensive.
If the active processes need to get swapped out to disk, you can wipe
out any performance gain.  I've noticed this some with clang.  I don't
care that clang uses more memory, "compile once, run many", but be aware
of it if you're benchmarking.  The ram amount can also influence cache
sizes, and you have a major difference in memory amounts.