connect to a network printer to be able to print

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:54:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> I am trying to connect a network printer to be able to print to it.  I
>> know the make/model of the printer:
>> HP Color LaserJet CP4520
>> and the ip address it is on
>> 10.155.135.3
>>
>> I want to use lpd/lpr to be able to print as is specified in
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html
>>
>> I read the instructions on the handbook, but it does not specify how
>> to use the ip address or specify it to print to it.  How can I set
>> this printer up?
>> I have setup /etc/printcap with the following:
>>
>> lp:\
>>        :lp=:\
>>        :sh:\
>>        :mx#0:\
>>        :rm=HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520:\
>>        :rp=raw:\
>>        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>>        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>>
>> but there is no ip adress where the communication can exist.  How can
>> I do this?  Do I setup the printer with CUPS?  or can it be done with
>> lpr which is what I use with a local HP 1200 printer, but this one is
>> a network printer.
>

> If your local DNS does not have a name for the printer, define it in
> /etc/hosts:
>
> 10.155.135.3    HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520

Dear Warren & all,

I have succeeded !  I got it to work by using the last example in your
page, copied it over to /etc/printcap:

lp:\
        :lp=9100 at netlaser:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

then ran
# sed -i "" 's|9100 at netlaser|9100 at 10.155.135.3|g'

and it has printed successfully :)  Now I will do this with two other
machines to be able to print to this network printer.  Thanks to all
who helped figure this out.  I had not even tried to connect, but
reading on another site that it was not hard to do, I tried it and it
has succeeded!

Best Regards,

Antonio