connect to a network printer to be able to print

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:44:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Trond Endrestøl
<Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:45-0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> I am trying to connect a network printer to be able to print to it.  I
>> know the make/model of the printer:
>> HP Color LaserJet CP4520
>> and the ip address it is on
>> 10.155.135.3
>>
>> I want to use lpd/lpr to be able to print as is specified in
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html
>>
>> I read the instructions on the handbook, but it does not specify how
>> to use the ip address or specify it to print to it.  How can I set
>> this printer up?
>> I have setup /etc/printcap with the following:
>>
>> lp:\
>>         :lp=:\
>>         :sh:\
>>         :mx#0:\
>>         :rm=HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520:\
>>         :rp=raw:\
>>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>>
>> but there is no ip adress where the communication can exist.  How can
>> I do this?  Do I setup the printer with CUPS?  or can it be done with
>> lpr which is what I use with a local HP 1200 printer, but this one is
>> a network printer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Antonio
>
> Does the name HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520 resolve to its IP address?

it seems it does not :(

grullahighschool# lpq
Warning: unable to get address list for remote machine
HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    olivares   0    (standard input)                      239208 bytes
You have new mail.
grullahighschool#

> What about using a FQDN?
>
> Does the name exist in your local DNS zone or does the name exist in
> the local /etc/hosts file?
>
> Either make sure the name is resolvable, or specify the IP address in
> the /etc/printcap file.

how do I do this?  any examples out there?

> Your HP printer should be equipped with a JetDirect card, and you
> should be able to print a configuration page revealing the current
> settings.
>
> If the settings doesn't match your network, then you need to input the
> desired settings. I guess this would be possible through the use of
> the LCD display and the buttons nearby.
>

> Best of luck,
> Trond.
>
> --
> +-------------------------------+------------------------------------+
> | Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |
> | Trond Endrestøl,              | Trond Endrestøl,                   |
> | IT-ansvarlig,                 | System administrator,              |
> | Fagskolen Innlandet,          | Gjøvik Technical College, Norway,  |
> | tlf. mob.   952 62 567,       | Cellular...: +47 952 62 567,       |
> | sentralbord 61 14 54 00.      | Switchboard: +47 61 14 54 00.      |

Dear Trond,

I have run a test using an example by W. Block on another site:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/printers/printer-without-driver-266629-4.html

and I have sent data to the printer and it prints:

# printf "This is a test\r\n\f" | nc 10.155.135.3 9100

How do I set this up in /etc/printcap, so that this printer can be the one?

Thanks for your help.  I am close to get it to work.

Best Regards,

Antonio