jail and networking

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Thu Feb 21 02:56:48 UTC 2013

It's been a while since I experimented with jails but I'm pretty sure it
is the reason I changed my sshd_config

When you start sshd on the base system by default it binds against
0.0.0.0 and :: which is every ip4 and ip6 address configured on the base
system, which includes the aliased ip's for your jails. This is
represented by the *:22 from sockstat. When you start the jail it can't
start sshd because the base already has that address/port in use.

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config comment out the ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 and
ListenAddress :: then add ListenAddress 10.0.0.3

service sshd restart

start your jail and try again

The jail config is fine as the jail only sees the one ip address
assigned to it.