How to add zfs support to FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 19 00:56:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:57:14 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Fbsd8 wrote:
> > The handbook does not cover how to add zfs support.
> >
> > How is it done?
>

> Let me reword. If zfs is in the base system why does it not show up
> when I look for it this way?
>
> if config -x $( sysctl -n kern.bootfile ) | grep -q
> '^[[:space:]]*options[[:space:]]\{1,\}ZFS\>'; then
>    echo "yes zfs is in the kernel"
> fi

Without the ability to check this, I strongly assume that
if you enable ZFS as described in the Handbook, the module
/boot/kernel/zfs.ko (part of the default system) will be
loaded. That's why it won't show up in a sysctl query
aimed at the _kernel_ itself -- because it isn't in the
kernel.

Also, "sysctl -n kern.bootfile" will return the actual
kernel file, /boot/kernel/kernel, which is a binary. If
the exact config list (from the kernel _configuration_
file) is not plain-text part of that file, grep will not
find the text you're grepping for.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany