about unatteneded installation

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Thu Feb 14 17:34:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Rick Miller wrote:

> Hi Devin,
>
> On 12/20/12 1:10 PM, "Devin Teske" <devin.teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:
> >
> > For now, people that prefer sysinstall can use my FreeBSD Druid pre-built install media:
> >
> > For 9.0:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/files/FreeBSD-9.0_Druid-1.0b60.iso/download
> >
> > For 8.3:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/files/FreeBSD-8.3_Druid-1.0b60.iso/download
> >
> > As for 10.0 (when it comes out), expect bsdinstall to surpass sysinstall (in many many great ways) in every way (unlike the current status in 9.x).
>
> I had begun evaluating FreeBSD Druid and DruidBSD, but was sidetracked
> with a different project.  I'm hoping to return to this in the coming
> weeks.  Having said that, I am wondering what disk partition utilities
> FreeBSD Druid/DruidBSD use when installing 9.x.  Is it using
> fdisk/bsdlabel or gpart?

Hi Rick,

No worries on time lapse. In fact, I had been needing to get back to you on assuaging those 4 failed patch hunks on your sysinstall work.

FreeBSD Druid (both 8.x and 9.x) use sysinstall for disk partitioning. What does sysinstall use, you say? Glad you asked. sysinstall(8) uses a combination of:

+ libdisk ( see, for example, Set_Boot_Mgr(3) within "case 'W'" of "switch (toupper(key))" in function diskPartition() of file stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c lines 630-693)
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c?revision=225736&view=markup

and ...

+ phk code (see, for example, slice_wizard() function in file stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/wizard.c lines 65-201, in-use for "case '|'" of the same switch above, same function, lines 695-707 of stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c)
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c?revision=225736&view=markup
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/wizard.c?revision=225736&view=markup

But wait, there's more...

The FreeBSD 9 version of my FreeBSD Druid has a patch to perform (only when doing automated/scripted installs):

gpart -F destroy ${dest_disk}

The reason for this is that if you, say for example, were to try the bsdinstall based media and then want to try sysinstall based media, you're actually prevented from re-formatting that disk into a usable MBR layout until you destroy the GPT backup label stored at the end of the disk.

So the FreeBSD Druid for 9.x is basically the same as for 8.x with an additional twist, it has gpart in the mfsroot so that it can do a "destroy" on the GPT backup data before formatting the disk in automated installations (this "destroy" command is not done for non-scripted installs).

You can see the code here:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/src/freebsd/menu/etc/all_install?r1=1.2&r2=1.3
http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/src/freebsd/menu/etc/all_install?revision=1.3&view=markup

--