3 TB disk troubles

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Feb 14 16:01:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Scott Bennett wrote:

>     The confusing thing is that the kernel says it's a 3 TB device,
> but the utility programs say otherwise.

There are more than a few SATA to USB adapters that are not capable of
dealing with larger devices.  I've seen at least one that could not
handle a 1T drive.  Now that larger drives are becoming more common, the
limits are often shown on the device box or description.

The kernel may still identify the device correctly, possibly with
different capacity detection.

As mentioned, ESATA or just bypassing the SATA/USB/Firewire
adapter and connecting directly to the drive should give the full
capacity.