which X driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 22:44:24 UTC 2013

	From smithi at nimnet.asn.au Mon Feb 11 16:59:49 2013

	On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:28:30 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
	 > 	From smithi at nimnet.asn.au Mon Feb 11 13:49:38 2013
	 >
	 > 	On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:41:31 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
	 > 	 > 	From: paranormal <paranormal at isgroup.com.ua>
	 > 	 > 	Subject: Re: which X driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M?
	 > 	 > 	To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
	 > 	 > 	Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 03:23:40 +0200
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > 	I have t61p with mentioned card.
	 > 	 > 	x11/nvidia-driver works well for me (at least quake, doom, compiz work).
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > Thanks for all the replies.
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > I bought a T61p for 220 GBP - what bliss!
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > BIOS update - no problem
	 > 	 > HEAD r246552 - no problem
	 > 	 > wireless with iwn0: <Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965> - no problem
	 > 	 > sound with hdac0: <Intel 82801H HDA Controller> - no problem
	 > 	 > CD-RW with cd0: <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U10N 1.05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
	 > 	 >   and sysutils/cdrtools-devel - no problem
	 > 	 > X with nvidia0: <Quadro FX 570M> and x11/nvidia-driver - no problem
	 > 	 > flash as per http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html
	 > 	 >   (7.2.1.2 Firefox and Adobe Flash Plugin) - no problem
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > In fact, no problems at all!
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > I can't recommend it enough.
	 > 	 >
	 > 	 > Anton
	 >
	 > 	Suspend and resume?
	 >
	 > I guess no... However, I'm very ignorant of suspend/resume,
	 > so not sure I'm doing the right thing.
	 >
	 > - the T61p manual details "standby" and "hibernation" modes.
	 > Is this what you refer to by suspend?
	 > I can go into standby with Fn+F4, or with "acpiconf -s 3"

	Ok, state S3 is what we call suspend, more precisely suspend to RAM
	(STR); windows and so most BIOSes call that state standby.

	 > but can't seem to get back. The disk starts, but the
	 > screen is corrupted, kind of black with very few white dots.
	 > I have to power off/on.

	A common enough tale these days.  I try to remain hopeful someone will
	get a more modern Thinkpad than the T43s (reportedly) or my older T23s
	(certainly) resuming in one unbroken piece every time again, one day ..

	 > The Fn+F12, hibernation mode code, does not seem to
	 > do anything.
	 >
	 > - I've had a quick look at acpi(4) and apm(8).
	 > I have:
	 >
	 > hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
	 > hw.acpi.s4bios: 0

	S3 is suspend to RAM; S4 suspend to disk (STD, unsupported by FreeBSD);
	S5 is power off, should work but may bypass some shutdown(8) processing.

	S4, STD - 'hibernation' - has two varieties; with s4bios the BIOS itself
	writes machine state and all RAM to disk, usually a preallocated file in
	an msdosfs slice.  I haven't heard of any new boxes supporting this in
	BIOS for years; windows (since ~'95) and Linux (I'm told) support STD.

	 > -  Anything I should check/test in BIOS?
	 > I see that power management is enabled in BIOS.
	 > Is that enough?

	It should be, but doesn't seem to work on many.  When it resumes with
	messed up screen, can you ping it, or maybe ssh in, or is it dead?

yes, I thought of this, but haven't checked yet.
I haven't got a static IP allocated yet, and
I somehow can never ssh into a box with DHCP allocated address.

	If you boot it but don't start X, can it come back from suspend?

no, with or without X - same result.

	Frankly, unless you're _really_ keen to get STR working, this could turn
	into not just a rabbithole, but the whole warren - you'll have to really
	want to be the bunny!

no, certainly not for me.
I'm all for helping committers with testing
patches and such, but for me suspend/resume
is not really an issue.

	Sounds like a very nice machine otherwise :)

yes, it's definitely better than HP Compaq 6715s I used before.

	cheers, Ian

Thanks

Anton