which X driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Feb 11 15:19:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:28:30 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I guess no... However, I'm very ignorant of suspend/resume,
> so not sure I'm doing the right thing.

For those who use the laptop in "transportable mode" (i. e.
not on the desktop as a desktop-PC substitute), those
features might be interesting in order to save power.

> - the T61p manual details "standby" and "hibernation" modes.
> Is this what you refer to by suspend?

Both are _different_ kinds, if I remember correctly.

Standby stores machine states in RAM and buffers it with
the battery power. This mode still requires power. This
is ACPI states S2 and S3.

Hibernate stores machine data somewhere on hard disk or
SSD. This mode does not require power. This is ACPI state
S4.

> I can go into standby with Fn+F4, or with "acpiconf -s 3"
> but can't seem to get back. The disk starts, but the
> screen is corrupted, kind of black with very few white dots.

That seems to indicate that the GPU memory data is lost.
A typical problem with those sleep states.

> - I've had a quick look at acpi(4) and apm(8).

APM is not in use anymore. ACPI has taken that functionality
at the point in time when APM has been brought to a fully
functional state.

> I have:
>
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0

>From http://static.usenix.org/event/usenix02/tech/freenix/full_papers/watanabe/watanabe_html/node6.html you can see:

S3:	sleep states. In these states, memory contexts are held
	but CPU contexts are lost. The differences between S2 and
	S3 are in CPU re-initialization done by firmware and device
	re-initialization.

S4:	a sleep state in which contexts are saved to disk. The
	context will be restored upon the return to S0. This is
	identical to soft-off for hardware. This state can be
	implemented by either OS or firmware.

S5:	the soft-off state. All activity will stop and all contexts
	are lost.

> -  Anything I should check/test in BIOS?

The obvious things, but I assume the presets are already
fine for a laptop.

> I see that power management is enabled in BIOS.
> Is that enough?

It should be. Note that PM can also include things like
spinning down disks or reducing CPU power.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany