vnet without epair

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Sun Feb 10 12:54:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> On 2/10/2013 1:12 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2013, Fbsd8 wrote:
> >> I did google search and could only find 9.0 vnet jails using epair.
> >
> > I'm surprised you didn't find my own page on vnet jails using netgraph:
> >
> > http://druidbsd.sf.net/vimage.shtml
>
> I have seen this but I got the idea that it is not in ports(?) and this
> stopped me from trying.

It's not in ports only because I first wanted to see where jail.conf would take us w/respect to vimages.

However, this package not being in ports shouldn't prevented you from trying it -- it's extremely stable and as I mentioned, we've been using it heavily at $work for over 12 months now. When you download the package (*.tgz) and pkg_add it, it installs the following two files only:

/etc/rc.d/vimage
/etc/rc.conf.d/vimage

NOTE: The rc.conf.d file is the "documentation" on usage

If you haven't tried it, then I hope you will because I think the new jail.conf stuff falls short. Don't get me wrong, jail.conf is a great start, but simply adding the ability to manage the vnet aspect of a jail does not make a vimage (what's missing is the built-in support for generating bridges as vimages are brought up/down dynamically).

I feel that before I add this to ports I need to reprogram it to use jail.conf (not directly). That will simplify its code and [should] make it smaller. I was somewhat waiting on /etc/rc.d/jail to blaze the trail for me.

In short, the landscape has been changing fast enough that it's prevented me from adding this to ports, but in spite of that it's still very much real _and_ real stable.
--
Devin