mount: /dev/da0p1: Invalid argument

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Fri Feb 8 16:16:26 UTC 2013

On 02/08/13 14:47, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> On 02/08/13 07:38, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>>     From chris at monochrome.org Fri Feb  8 13:27:48 2013
>>
>>     On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>>
>>       [ snip ]
>>
>>     > So what is the advice for transferring data
>>     > via USB in such cases? Any other gpart partition
>>     > I could use?
>>
>>     I've always used FAT32 for thumb drives and the like. I don't know if
>>     the SPARC would be able to use it, but FAT32 seems like it's most
>> likely
>>     to be usable by the largest number of different platforms.
>>
>> But how do I create FAT32 partitions on FreeBSD?
>> The gpart doesn't seem to support it.
>>
>> Anton
>
> for a new fat32 fs I used:
>
> newfs_msdos -F 32 -L travelsize /dev/da0
>
> (FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 over here, for what it's worth)

Joseph is right in saying newfs_msdos -F 32 is how to format a FAT32
file system, but it occurs to me that Anton might be asking what type to
specify to the gpart add command. Looking at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_type_GUIDs

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_data_partition

I think you probably want to use the type code for a Windows Basic data
partition, which would be

gpart add -t !EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 other_gpart_args

[depending on your shell you may have to escape that '!']. According to
the second Wikipedia page

"According to Microsoft, the basic data partition is the equivalent to
partition types 0x06, 0x07, and 0x0B (FAT16, NTFS, FAT32) in the
traditional MBR partition table."