Restricting Periodic Scripts

Tim Gustafson tjg at ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 6 17:26:18 UTC 2013

I have a FreeBSD ZFS file server with tens of millions of files stored on it.

But, the daily periodic scripts like
/etc/periodic/security/110.neggrpperm and
/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate take hours iterating through those
folders, and I just don't need them to be scanned.

I see that I can edit /etc/locate.rc to fix the behavior for
/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate but I don't see a way to exclude
folders from other scripts like /etc/periodic/security/110.neggrpperm
from scanning them.  Is there any way to prune out folders that I
don't want scanned, or should I just disable those jobs?

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at ucsc.edu
831-459-5354