Can anyone direct me to some information about what WITHOUT_PROFILE="YES" actually means.

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Mon Feb 4 16:52:52 UTC 2013

I have ran into a recent issue, after a lot of trouble shooting I have
narrowed it down to something in my /etc/src.conf

the full file just has:
WITHOUT_BIND="YES"
WITHOUT_NTP="YES"
WITHOUT_FLOPPY="YES"
WITHOUT_FREEBSD_UPDATE="YES"
WITHOUT_PROFILE="YES"

Of course bind and ntp are added in by ports after the system is built,
everything compiles, I have a very specific issue with one thing not
working on an installed port, with no apparent error.  To make a long
story short though one of my build attempts, I forgot to copy the
/etc/src.conf file to the new system.  And well the problem was gone,
when I discovered that's what I did differently, I commented out all
lines on a different system rebuilt and installed, sure enough it
worked.  Looking at the src.conf options that I was using, I can't see
how any option other than the WITHOUT_PROFILE could possibly be causing
the problem.  Though I am in the process of building systems with
different options removed in an attempt to find out for sure.

The WITHOUT_PROFILE was added from a help document I read some time ago
about upgrading from source, and hasn't caused any problems before now.
I know it instructs the build process to avoid compiling profiled
libraries.  But my searching hasn't been able to lead me to what the
difference is between a profiled and non-profiled library is.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer