binary updates for firefox and chromium?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Feb 1 08:30:30 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 10:50 PM, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> 2013/01/31 21:42:50 +0000 Walter Hurry <walterhurry at gmail.com> => To freebsd-questions at freebsd.org :
> WH> > port?

> WH> > It use to take me a day (~20h) to rebuild each of: www/firefox,
> WH> > www.seamonkey, mail/thunderbird.
> WH>
> WH> 20h? What on earth is your hardware?
>
> Neither hurry nor x86_64.
>
> But the browser performance is satisfactory.
>
> Thank you.

On a 8 year old laptop with celeron 1,6GHz processor and 2GB RAM it takes
about 10 hours to rebuild firefox and thunderbird.
Performance is great for working, but when updating the ports I leave it
building over night.
Lately I have been able to use a server at work for package building with
poudriere which works very well.

I guess FreeBSD people are close to having a new package infrastructure and
look forward to this.