IPv6 configuration issues

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Sun Dec 29 04:06:03 UTC 2013

Hello,

I recently set up a new box with FreeBSD 10-RC2 amd64. The host  (OVH)
provided a /64 of IPv6 addresses and gave me the following recommended
configuration:

# IPv6 configuration
ipv6_enable="YES"
ipv6_network_interfaces="igb0"
ifconfig_igb0_ipv6="inet6 2001:41d0:a:XXXX::1 prefixlen 64"
ipv6_static_routes="ovhgw"
ipv6_route_ovhgw="2001:41d0:a:1cff:ff:ff:ff:ff -prefixlen 128 -interface
igb0"
ipv6_defaultrouter="2001:41d0:a:1cff:ff:ff:ff:ff"

Taking the path of least resistance, I used these exact settings and
everything worked just fine. After setting up a bunch of things I came
back and decided to add some additional IPv6 addresses using

ifconfig_igb0_alias0="inet6 2001:41d0:a:XXXX::2 prefixlen 64"
etc.

Restarting netif I got the following warning (which I should have
remembered):

/etc/rc.d/netif: WARNING: $ipv6_enable is obsolete.  Use
$ipv6_activate_all_interfaces instead.

So I dutifully replaced the line in my rc.conf and went along. All of my
IPv6 addresses could be pinged.

After some time I compiled 10-STABLE from sources and rebooted only to
find my IPv6 address were not reachable and I couldn't ping6 out of the
server.

First I tried removing 'ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"' from my
rc.conf. My IPv6 addresses still did not come up. So I added back the
'ipv6_enable="YES"' to my rc.conf and surprisingly my IPv6 addresses
came back up (despite the warning).

Any ideas as to why this deprecated entry is necessary? Any
workarounds/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jim Ohlstein