Running FreeBSD for my personal website: collocation, cloud, etc.

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 06:22:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you recommend a place/procedure by which I can easily (and
> cheaply) get up and running with a "publicly accessible" FreeBSD
> machine

Thank you for the quick replies everyone.  I guess by "cloud" I was
half-wondering if I was going to get a response like this:  "Go to
amazon.com/cloud, click 'sign up with a freebsd 9.2 machine', provide
a root password, and you are good to go!  Lucky for you the cost is
per CPU cycle and since nobody visits your site, it should cost you
only $1/month.  Bonus: you get a static IP!"

Turns out, Cox Cable in Santa Barbara, CA will upgrade me to a static
IP that allows incoming ports 80 and 25 for $100/month (double what
I'm paying for my residential connection).

Something like this looks good for me: http://arpnetworks.com/

Thanks again,

Chris