Running FreeBSD for my personal website: collocation, cloud, etc.

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 02:22:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've used linux for years but the BSD Now podcast has me fired up
about BSD.  I'm thinking of resurrecting my domain name web and mail
servers with FreeBSD.

Can you recommend a place/procedure by which I can easily (and
cheaply) get up and running with a "publicly accessible" FreeBSD
machine connected to the internet on which I can run a web and mail
server?  Maybe I'll hookup a VPN for use when I am on a public
connection (e.g. starbucks).

The server will be under essentially no load.

The way I see it I have these options:

1. Buy and run machines from home and figure out a scheme to deal with
my dynamic ip address

2. Co-location (which I've never done but I think I understand the concept)

3. Cloud (which I don't understand)

Thanks for your help,

Chris