OT: Wireless router

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Fri Dec 27 17:19:01 UTC 2013

> I need an of the shelf Wifi-router with the following capability.
>
> It should provide at least two separate Wifi networks. One private and one guest network. The guest network should be time controlled so that it will turn on and of on the times set.
>
> Is such a product available?

I'm sure other brands have this feature as well, but I have a Netgear WNDAP360 which allows this:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDAP360_RM_03May2011.pdf
(see Page 55).
You would have to either have (2) or use one frequency (say 5GHz) as your private and the other frequency (2.4GHz) as your public.

It is also just a wireless access point, so for an "off the self router", you would need something like (or similar on whatever brand you prefer):
http://www.netgear.com/images/FVS318G_DS_10Jan1118-5265.pdf

Personally, I use an old Pentium 3 running FreeBSD 9.2 and rolfheinrich's very excellent VPN server/router guide here as my router:
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=26755