Cam or ATAPI

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 25 23:25:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:08:14 +0000, James Griffin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just wanted to get some clarification. My cdrom device is listed in
> dmesg as /dev/cd0 - as opposed to /dev/acd0 - so does this mean I need
> to access the device through the cam layer?

This is correct. During the course toward FreeBSD 10 the
ATAPI subsystem (acd devices) has been removed, and the
access to the optical devices, connected to PATA or SATA
ports, now relies on the "SCSI command language" (cd devices).
Older tools that rely on ATAPI commands will probably not
work anymore (cdcontrol and burncd from the base system
come to mind). Also the kernel option "device atapicam"
is not needed anymore; on FreeBSD 8 for example, it allowed
you to use both "infrastructures" in parallel, e. g.

acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N/RL00> at ata1-master UDMA66
cd0: <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N RL00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device

You will now have to use programs like cdrtools, growisofs
or cdparanoia to interact with optical discs which use the
"SCSI command language".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany