Base System Rebuild

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Dec 11 07:25:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:07:54 -0800
"ETHAN HOUSE (RIT Student)" <ewh2048 at rit.edu> wrote:

> The VMHost is on a journaled file system so that shouldn't happen.
> It's also on a UPS.

so, to what do you have access? To the host or to the virtual machine
inside?

You should never get affected by any file system problems of the host
except that your imagine will crash.

> It was setup on a single partition, so newfs is not possible.

You learned now the hard way that it is better to have several
partitions. A system with partitions for /, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr and
home has a much higher chance to avoid the problem you got caught in.
Of course, setting it up takes a bit more time.

Erich