Using bsdinstall for an additional drive

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Dec 8 23:13:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 8 December 2013, at 10:47, Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it's worth the effort to try to understand gpart et al.
>
> Yes - that works.  But you have to remember it.  I do this once every couple years.  Thats why sysinstall was useful.  I didn't have to remember either where I put the notes, or on the specific commands themselves.  I run a number of systems running FreeBSD because they are reliable, consistent, and I don't have to remember a ton of drivel.  Unfortunately, we have re-introduced some of that in this situation.

sysinstall had some intermittent bugs that would occasionally do bad
things.

As Devin points out, bsdinstall has a partition editor.  I personally
find gpart easier to use.  The article I linked earlier is kind of a
checklist to make sure none of the important points is missed when
setting up a new system disk.

For setting up a single partition data disk, it can be much simpler:

# gpart create -s gpt ada1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -a4k ada1
# newfs -U /dev/ada1p1