accessibility from the disk?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 8 23:06:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 03:56:00PM -0500, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> Hey folks.  In my quest to see what Unix-related systems can do,
> I happened to here about you guys.  Being that I'm a blind user,
> and most distros of operating systems come with either Speakup
> (for the CLI) or Orca (the screenreader for Gnome), I was
> wondering what accessibility your installation disk has to offer,
> and how do I turn it on?

There are two screenreaders in the accessibility ports, e.g.
/usr/ports/accessibility/yasr/ for the console and
/usr/ports/accessibility/orca/ for gnome.

Yasr requires a text-to-speak engine like festival.

Installing a port is usually a question of going to the port directory and
running 'make install clean'. From what I see in the port's pkg-message, yasr
requires you to set up a configuration file (yasr.conf).

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/