do I have to compile a new kernel? or just add options somehow?

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Dec 7 05:55:55 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 07:11, firmdog at gmail.com wrote:
> I ran  #kldload crypto.  Did you see that?  Then I ran kldstat and it
> shows the module loaded.
>
> Why do I have to recompile the kernel if I can run kldload or use
> loader.conf to load the module at boot time?

The various kernel modules can either be compiled into the kernel or
loaded dynamically. There may be one or two exceptions that only work
compiled in and some devices are obviously needed to boot the system.
The modules that aren't compiled into the kernel will be available as
loadable modules. An option compiled into the kernel is permanently
available, consuming ram etc. A loadable module can be unloaded if not
in use.

The main reason for configuring and building your own kernel has been to
remove things you don't want, therefore reducing minimum ram usage
- less important for current systems with plenty of ram.

You can configure the crypto module to be automatically loaded during
startup by adding crypto_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf