ifconfig_x0="DHCP" and ifconfig_x0_alias0="a.b.c.d"

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Fri Dec 6 22:34:19 UTC 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 9:16 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a rc friendly way to set up an IP alias and DHCP
> on an interface. I am after this:
> ifconfig_net0="DHCP"
> ifconfig_net0_alias0="inet 1.2.3.4/24"
>
> I ve tried some combinations found in the manual but nothing worked
> so far...

What release are you on?

If you're on 9.2-R or higher... there are multiple ways...

First way... Use sysrc(8)...

	sysrc ifconfig_net0="DHCP"
	sysrc ifconfig_net0_alias0="inet 1.2.3.4/24"

	NOTE: See "man sysrc" for more info

Need more control? Use a shell API library...

	# At the top of your rc...
	. /usr/share/bsdconfig/sysrc.subr

	# Then wherever you want...
	f_sysrc_set ifconfig_net0 DHCP
	f_sysrc_set ifconfig_net0_alias0 "inet 1.2.3.4/24"

	NOTE: Works on 9.2-R+
	NOTE: If you're on 11.0-C or higher, there's an API reference...
		see "bsdconfig includes -d sysrc" for sysrc API references

However, you'll need to be aware, that if you intend to change these
values *during* the boot process... the newly modified values may
not take effect for the current boot, as the values are aggressively
cached (for which there is a patch by Sir Percival to address -- see
SVN r258894 for additional information on that).
--
Devin