acroread9 crashed immediately after starting

Rolf G Nielsen rnmtw83 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 22:32:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-06 21:56, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:25:45 +0100, Rolf G Nielsen stated:
>

>> On 2013-12-05 12:08, Jerry wrote:
>>> System: FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #0 r257580 amd64
>>>
>>> I have "acroread9" installed because I write and frequently need to
>>> fill in online interactive PDF forms.
>>>
>>> I have Adobe Pro XI installed on a Windows 8.1 machine to create and
>>> modify interactive PDFs. It is the only program that I am aware of
>>> that can accomplish this. I was trying to to insure that the forms
>>> work correctly under different OSs. Using Firefox and its built in
>>> PDF program fails miserably. It cannot utilize the interactive
>>> properties of the PDF. I installed acroread9, but it simply crashes
>>> a few seconds after it starts.
>>>
>>> $ acroread9
>>> Fontconfig error:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
>>> non-double matrix element Fontconfig error:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
>>> non-double matrix element Fontconfig warning:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78:
>>> saw unknown, expected number Fontconfig error:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
>>> non-double matrix element Fontconfig error:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
>>> non-double matrix element Fontconfig warning:
>>> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78:
>>> saw unknown, expected number terminate called after throwing an
>>> instance of 'RSException'
>>>
>>> This is line 70:       </matrix>
>>> This is line 78:       </edit>
>>>
>>> From the /var/message log:
>>>
>>> Dec  5 05:45:33 scorpio kernel: linux: pid 31377 (acroread): syscall
>>> inotify_init not implemented
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue? If so, then why is the application in the
>>> ports system if it will not run? If not, what do I have to do to get
>>> it to run successfully?
>>>

>> Have you loaded the linux_adobe kernel module?
>
> From /etc/rc.conf: linux_enable="YES"
>
> kldstat doesn't list it either. I cannot find it on my system either.

There is a linux_adobe.ko kernel module that needs to be loaded as well,
the linux.ko is not sufficient. Don't ask me why, I'm not a kernel
hacker. The module isn't installed in the /boot/kernel nor /boot/modules
directories. I'm not sure exactly where it's installed, but there's a
rc.d script that loads it. Try this

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/linux_adobe start

And put

linux_adobe_enable="YES"

in your /etc/rc.conf to have it load automagically when the system boots.