Equivalence to cp -Ru

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Dec 6 21:24:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 19:56:18 +0100, Daniel Patón wrote:
> In Linux I used the following command in bash on an external USB disk:
>
> cp -Ru * /media/BACKUP
>
> Now in FreeBSD with csh the command cp is a little different.

This has nothing to do with the C shell, as /bin/cp is an
external command (binary). :-)

> Is there any equivalence to cp -Ru that only copy the newest
> files of my laptop to external disk?

I'd suggest using cpdup from the ports collection. It can
handle the described scenario very well (and flexible, if
required).

> cp -a ?

This is equivelant to cp -RpP: recursive, preserve certain
attributes, do not follow symlinks. See "man cp" for details.
Linux cp's -u (--update) does not have a direct equivalent.
Try cpdup. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany