Why FreeBSD doesn't have a Gnome3 port?

iijima yoshino iijimayoshino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 13:23:46 UTC 2013

在 2013-12-06五的 13:36 +0100,Luca Ferrari写道:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM, iijima yoshino <iijimayoshino at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And we could not request every developer to
> > put the portability No.1 when they try to write something. If I consider
> > about Linux/BSD, why don't Win/Mac/Solaries/Minix/Haiku/MenutOS... We do
> > everything for ourselves, then the others.
>
> With regard to the specific question, gnome3, I believe we are not
> asking developers to keep portability as their number one issue. They
> simply have broken portability by themselves. Gnome was used as the
> main desktop on OpenSolaris, that is not Linux. But deciding to got
> for a Linux-tied subsystem they have deliberately chosen not to be
> portable. Is this right or wrong? I don't care, but we cannot ask
> FreeBSD (or any other OS) developers to port gnome3 when the gnome
> community itself has decided to break. Of course, is there is
> interest, someone will port.
>
> Luca

Yeah,it's not a "right or wrong" problem, as "to be or not to be".
OpenBSD 5.4 supports Gnome 3.8 and PCBSD 10 will take Gnome3/Cinnamon
replacing Gnome2.
In fact, the FreeBSD can do but not do, Why?
Different philosophy? Bad compatibility? Dependencies conflict? No
interest? Something else?
Whatever the reason is, having an "evil" gnome3 port would never boom
the machine.